Friday, December 30, 2011

Pregnancy Tests

Dear Mia,

Today I had to go to the doctor’s office and take a glucose tolerance test.  I had to fast for 12 hours, drink a sugar concoction, and then have my blood tested to see how my body reacted to the sugar drink.  The test will let me know if I have gestational diabetes, a condition that occurs in about 4-7% of expectant mothers.  If it turns out I have gestational diabetes, I’ll have to learn to control my blood sugar through diet, exercise, and, if necessary, medication.  It’s nothing to worry too much about.

August 5, 2011

I’ve started to consider the OSF St. Joseph Medical Center as my second home.  Ever since our first doctor’s appointment when I was roughly 10 weeks pregnant, I’ve been coming here at least every 4 weeks.  At every appointment I get to hear your heartbeat, Dr. Dutta gives me advice about what to expect, and I can ask questions.  I’ve also had blood drawn, two ultrasounds, and now the glucose test.  Thankfully everyone here is very friendly and I’ve only had good experiences.  Also, everything has been 100% covered by our health insurance, so we haven’t had to worry about paying any co-pays.  That’s a nice relief!

October 14, 2011

I’ll be going back to Dr. Dutta on Wednesday for another check-up and she’ll let me know the results of today’s lab work.  I’ll start seeing her every two weeks for now, and then ever week after that until you arrive!

Love,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment