Saturday, February 25, 2012

Nursery Remodel Part 3

Dear Mia,

I have been looking forward to writing this post for months!  This is your big nursery reveal!

I started planning your nursery minutes after I found out I was pregnant.  You may think that's an exaggeration but I can honestly tell you that I took a positive test, celebrated with your Dad and then popped open my laptop and started searching for "crib sets."  I searched for the perfect neutral crib set for days- these were my #1, #2 and #3 favorites- but then I decided to hold off until I found out if you were a boy or a girl.  And I'm so glad I did!  I love that you have a perfectly girly nursery.  This room is exactly what I wanted for you!

I did a lot of planning for your nursery by searching google images, blogs, websites and Pinterest for ideas (many of which I'll link to below).  One of my favorite inspiration websites was ProjectNursery.com and I would visit it daily to see what new and exciting real-world nurseries they were highlighting.  I'm going to submit pictures of your nursery and see if we make the website, but just in case we don't, I'm going to borrow their posting format for here.  I hope they don't mind!

Child's Name: Mia Ellen

Child's Age: Due March 10, 2012

Location: Illinois

Description:
I created a nursery that is bright, fun and youthful.  It's a space that will grow as my baby does.  

Design Inspiration:
My initial inspiration came from a floral fabric I found at our local JoAnn Fabrics store.  I loved the big, bold pattern and the warm colors.

Decorating Style:
I'm not sure what my style would be- I just buy what I like and make sure I never pay full price!  I like splashes of color, dark wood furniture, and I like to pick textiles that make bold statements against solid-colored walls.  I also like to mix new finds with antiques and sentimental pieces.  

Project Details:
  • Technically the canvas above the crib was my very first purchase as a newly-pregnant woman.  I was shopping over my lunch break one afternoon and stumbled up on it at Gordmans.  I fell in love with it and knew that I'd make it work in the nursery- whether or not I ended up having a boy or a girl.
 
  • The fabric was my second find.  It's called Trendi Sorbet (a Home Essentials print) and I bought it during a Black Friday sale at JoAnn Fabrics.  That was a story in itself!  My incredibly talented Mother-in-Law, and owner of The Slipcover Shop, did all of the sewing on the valance, crib skirt and book wall pockets, and I could not be more thrilled with the way it all turned out!
  • The paint came next.  We chose Minuet White, Wisteria and Brave Purple by Sherwin Williams and had a painting party to get it all done.
  • Closet organization was a must for me and I finished the closet well before I started decorating the main room.  A post on the closet can be found here.
  • The furniture was our next selection.  We chose the Delta Bentley 4-in-1 Convertible Crib in chocolate and the matching Delta Bentley 6 Drawer Double Dresser in chocolate from Target and we've very pleased with their quality.
  • The rocking chair is a Snipes family heirloom, lovingly re-covered by my Mother-in-Law (I told you she's awesome) in Glamour Fruit Punch (a Modern Essentials fabric) from JoAnn Fabrics.  I'll be doing an entire post on this chair because there's a lot of history there!  Stay tuned!
  • The idea for the book wall pockets came from Pinterest and I found the actual instructions here.  Of course my Mother-in-Law completely out-did herself by cording the pockets in the same fabric we used on the rocker.  Love it!  The double curtain rods are from Walmart.
  • The inspiration for the four photos above the dresser came from Pinterest.  I found the 11"x14" frames at Hobby Lobby, had custom mats made at Jeffery Alans and then filled them with photos of myself and my husband as children (until they're replaced with photos of our own little one).  A post on how I hung the frames can be found here.
  • Dresser Goodies:  Diaper tote was a gift; ceramic owl bank was a perfect baby shower gift from my niece; the framed letter to the baby is also from my niece (frame from Walmart); and I bought the ladybug nightlight because it's adorable (Target).
  • I knew from all of my pins on Pinterest that I wanted to incorporate some shelving into the room.  The only wall I had left was pretty small so I bought a two-piece ledge set at Kohl's (also on Black Friday!) and filled them with some very special items from my Mom.  The musical puppy and book were baby shower gifts, the small pink plaque about daughters was originally a gift to me (but now I'm passing it on to Mia), and the I Love You needlepoint was originally hand-made by my Mom for her Grandmother in 1978.  She passed it down to me and now I'm giving it to my baby girl.

  • The inspiration for the framed letter M came from Pinterest.  I already owned all of the brads and the paper, but I bought the buttons and the frame at Hobby Lobby.


  • Crib Goodies:  The stuffed owl was the centerpiece at one of my baby showers (Babies R Us), the personalized pillow was a Christmas gift, and I bought the sound machine and mobile (buybuy Baby).

  • The owl toy box was a surprise gift from my Mother-in-Law and it matches the rest of the room so perfectly you'd think it had been the original inspiration for the room!

Favorite Items:
I love every single thing in this room- from the I Love You needlepoint to the custom-matted frames and hand-made bed skirt- it's my vision come true!
_______________________________

Mia, this nursery would not look anything like this without the help of many people that love you very, very much.  I must remember to say thank you to your Grandpa Snipes, Grandma Snipes, Grandma Young, Aunt Kirsten, Uncle Josh, Aaliyah, and of course your Dad for putting up with me throughout this entire process.  Also, I need to thank everyone that gave so generously at the showers like your Aunt Carol for some of the cutest toys in your toy box and Aunt Cori for some of the beautiful clothes in your closet.

This room was created with so much love, Mia, and from so many people.  That's why I wanted to do this post- so that you would always know and appreciate how much love went into the tiny little room where you lay your head every night.  We all love you so much, baby.

Love,
Momma  

1 comment:

  1. wow the room looks amazing! It's the kind of room that makes you happy, even before the little one comes!
    The chair looks great! I can't wait to hear details about it.

    ReplyDelete