Thursday, January 26, 2012

Life Before Mia, Part 2

Dear Mia,

To continue the story...

I'd love to say that I get home from work and whip up a five-star meal, clean the house from top to bottom, and then get my daily recommended amount of sleep.  The truth is, your Dad helps me out A LOT in the kitchen.  He always has dinner half-way cooked by the time I get home and all I need to do is set out place mats, napkins, silverware, drinks and maybe prepare some side dishes or condiments.  We would starve if it wasn't for your Dad.  He's the best!

We love to watch Wheel of Fortune during dinner (last night's puzzle was "Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn" and I guessed it right with only the T and H!) and tell each other about our day.  We also start making plans for the weekend and sometimes start writing a to-do or grocery list.  After dinner is fished I wash dishes and tidy up the kitchen.  By this time your Dad has found his way to his office where he'll take computers apart, reassemble computers, read about computers, order new computers... you get the idea*.  He also spends some time with his small animals- cleaning their cages and feeding them and then he lifts weights or does some cardio exercises.

After dinner I'm spent.  Sometimes I'll help myself to a bowl of ice cream in front of the TV but the current line-up of shows just doesn't hold my attention like it used to.  I've also been known to cross-stitch and even scrapbook during this time but lately that's just been too much of an effort for me!  I feed the dogs, let them outside, give Toby his night pills and end up in bed by 9:00pm with my Kindle, doing more reading.  The dogs also join me in bed- Oscar loves to sleep right up next to me, Wilson sleeps at my feet, and sometimes Toby will keep your Dad's side of the bed warm until here gets there.  Buddy can be found curled up on one of the two dog beds.

I don't usually last very long in bed without falling asleep so I'm out by 9:30pm.  Depending on the quality of The Office and Seinfeld re-runs on TV, your Dad falls asleep somewhere between 10pm and 11pm.  I wake up a few times each night to use the bathroom and flip from my left side to my right side (and back again) but for the most part we sleep uninterrupted until our alarms go off the next morning.

Love,
Momma

* When I told your Dad I was writing this post and including a list of his computer-related extracurricular activities, he asked me to mention that he also writes "sweet apps."  I don't know what those are either, Mia.  But he's promised me that he's going to make me a baby monitor out of a night-view webcam and stream the feed live on a closed network so I can watch you sleep on our many computer devices.  He has seven weeks.  Go, Daddy!  Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment